Size and stonelifting

Moderator: David Horne

Size and stonelifting

Postby Mark M-D » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:36 pm

Does anyone know any rules of thumb regarding the relationship between size/ bodyweight and the size of stone you can realistically lift?

I'd be well up for a trip to Scotland next year, but my bodyweight is currently 147lb and realistically I'd be unlikely to get any heavier than 160 by then. Would this simply rule out the majority of stones (except for the Dinnie Stones) or is it possible with a lot of bearhug deadlifting, Zerchers and general Squatting and deadlifting I could lift one of the lighter stones at this bodyweight?
Mark M-D

Re: Size and stonelifting

Postby David Horne » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:39 pm

Mark,
There are some great stones being found in North Wales because of Roger Davis's fine work with the BBC Wales.
Yes power is needed, but a grip is far more important!
Consistency is key!
David Horne

Postby james grahame » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:10 pm

A guy called Tom Basic took part in the Melbourne legs of WSH.

He weighed about 74kg or so and I have seen him load 100/110kg atlas stones without tacky. He is quite long limbed which helps when he gets his arms around the stones. Getting it off the ground is a lot about strong fingers, wrists and arms IMHO.

I would guess that Dalwhinnie stone is do able...and I am sure I saw a post from Peter Martin that they now have a sister stone for it. Also there are a couple of stones at Glen Lyon (Dalness Stone, Deardre Teardrop) which you will certainly stand up with and can take for a bear hug walk. Maybe press one of them or shoulder them.

If possible get some natural stones to practice with locally. I found one at the beach and moved it to a nearby industrial park and left it on the grass there (I live in a 1st floor flat) and visited occasionally to practice with it. No one ever moved it. Unless you are 'in to' stones people are blind to them.
james grahame

Postby Roger Davis » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:49 pm

Mark,

As David said, I am currently researching and investigation "feat stones" in North wales, as well as the monster "criccieth stone" which has now been officially weighed at 177.5kg, there are a number of lighter throwing stones and 3 or 4 that are around 90 -100kg and would still prove worthy adversaries to the average guy.

If you can, stand up with them, if stronger ... shoulder them ... if a demi-god , press them.

I will make these findings available as I travel to, reseach and lift these stones.

Good luck with your own journey.

Roger
Roger Davis

Postby Mark M-D » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:48 pm

Cheers everyone- I'll keep training and see where I'm at next year. I'll keep an eye out for natural stones- Basingstoke isn't renowned for them but you never know..
Mark M-D

Return to Stone Lifting