British Stone Lifting and Book

Moderator: David Horne

British Stone Lifting and Book

Postby PMartin » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Probably the worst kept secret that Roger Davis, Bill Crawford, Thorsten Moser and myself are working on a new Stone Lifting Book. What we are trying to achieve is a detailed history for just about every stone that is available for lifting. There is the addition of some new Scottish Stones that few will have heard about and with the power of work that Roger is doing in research of the Garreg Orchest lots of surprises in Wales as well.

With the added stones, a comprehensive list has now grown and sits at just under 30 British stones. The list which has been called "The Websters" in recognition of DPW will include just about all stones that can be lifted into the lap or fold. A similar ideaology as to the Munros, the Scottish hills over 3000 ft, we hope that the list will inspire lifters to visit places they might not consider to complete the list. The Dinnies and the Island Ultaich stones (the one ton deadlift stones) are quite unique and are not included in the list. We hope to prepare a website etc in the future where the stones themselves and a rating system that Roger D has developed can be used/discussed etc.

No1 on the present adhoc list is Criccieth followed by Big Blue at Old Dailly (soon to be released) and then the larger Puterach at Balquhidder. All three offer different challenges and the lifting of a stone onto the ancient plinth at Balquhidder I am sure will be up there with the must do's.

The list is still under development at present. If it takes off I would insist that the addition of new stones on the website/ change of position etc will only be maintained by a Brit. Might upset the international community but only those who have the stones on their doorstep so to speak would be in the position to assess any new additions to the list etc.

Oh and I forgot. DPW thinks it is a great idea, and so do I - A British stone lifting tick list - does life get any better?

I'm always free to meet any Celtic cousin from whatever side of the border or pond for a stone tour so feel free to ask. Johnny Reed from Georgia USA met at the right time this summer and was the first man to lift a stone onto the Paudraik plinth in 180 years or so and he was fair chuffed. There are presently 4 stones in Scotland waiting the same length of time to be lifted and are getting quite lonely. Newtonmore/Durness/ Glen Roy (x2).

Anyway, I welcome anyones comments or opinions as no one knows it all and I hope to enjoy the forum and tempt David out his semi stone lifting retirement.

Peter
PMartin

Re: British Stone Lifting and Book

Postby james grahame » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:23 pm

This is some of the best lifting news I have heard in ages. :D

Let me know if I can be of any help at all.
james grahame

Postby David Horne » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:49 am

I cannot wait for the book. 8-)

Well yes I will be tempted out by the Criccieth stone next March with all the other guys. It's a long time (1990s) since I did any serious stone lifting. All the other guys will be big and young, but it;ll be fun to have a go, and if I can get some air underneath it I will be very pleased.

Well done to Peter, Roger Davis, Bill Crawford and Thorsten Moser for this superb effort and the incredible research that you have all done so far.
Consistency is key!
David Horne

Postby samurai69 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:49 am

Nice going peter looking forward to the book and lifting some great stones next year (2012)
samurai69

Postby Lol999 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:23 am

Sounds like a good book mate. Still on my bucket list of things to do!
The only thing stopping me fucking your wife and shooting your dog is if I can't find you, and I found you.
Lol999

Postby Adam Moyers » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:13 am

Any news on the book? I've only lifted atlas stones in strongman. They are my favorite event, so i'm really interested in the natural stones.
Adam Moyers

Postby David Horne » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:15 am

I've think they are hoping for it to be published in 2012.
On my definite list to buy! 8-)
Consistency is key!
David Horne

Postby ThorstenM » Sun May 06, 2012 6:54 pm

I already wrote it to Peter Martin on Friday last week but I promised to post it here.

I do not plan to release a special book about the culture and traditional stone lifting.

Regarding the upload of the lists it is very important for me to say that it was not my intention to upset, disrespect or to confuse someone with the lists. If this was the case I apologize for it.
ThorstenM

Return to Stone Lifting