what Assistance exercises for natural stone lifting

Moderator: David Horne

what Assistance exercises for natural stone lifting

Postby samurai69 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:59 am

Well it was a year ago that i travelled north for my first true stone lifting adventure

i was lucky enough to meet up with peter martin who kindly showed us many of the stones we might have missed (the fianna being my fave so far)

well that was then

Now i am looking forward to an early 2012 stone lifting expedition north again, now when i was up there last my focus was on the dinnies (3 lifts without and 4th with straps)

this time it will be more towards "non handled stones"

and i was wondering what the best assistance exercises are, in the gym i have access to atlas stones upto 110kg (no tacky ever on them) we also have a range of normal weightlifting equipment

over the 3 or 4 days last year i noticed particual tension on my bicep tendons, i also have some knee problems that mean i have trouble getting into a deep squat position

i was thinking along the lines of

heavy hammer curls
zercher good mornings

but thats about it

are there any good assistance exercises you use that may be a little off the norm are have really helped you improve your natural stone lifting

samurai69

Re: what Assistance exercises for natural stone lifting

Postby David Horne » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:20 am

Bearhug Deadlifts are a must. This helped me greatly on my stone lifting trips.
Also heavy Side Bends to keep the torso strong.
Grip work, a must too.
Wrist work.
For your arms I'd do some 'lock' training, similar to armwrestling.

This is the kind of stuff I'll be putting into practice for my attempt at the Criccieth stone.
Consistency is key!
David Horne

Postby james grahame » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:57 am

Peter is a great host. I am sure you had a great time.

Are you able to get a couple of natural stones locally (river, beach, roadside etc)? I think something in the 100-130kg range would be ideal for loading...and lighter if you are pressing overhead.

It can be a bit of a pain to get them sometimes...and they can mess up a car...but worth the effort in the long run IMHO.

I don't doubt David's advice...but I found my forearms and fingers were sore after natural stone lifting in a way I failed to replicate at the gym. The hand often being so 'open' on the stone lift.

The atlas stones without tacky will take you a long way though and I based a lot of my training around atlas stones. I also trained with a 110kg stone from Roosk and I think that helped a lot. Usually took me a few attempts to get it off the ground....then I would manage several singles (floor to standup) and then I would be spent.

As for your injuries/aches/pains...I lifted some of my stones while having a knee problem. I did tend to keep my hips a bit high to protect it and often took more weight on the 'good' leg. I think if you can standup with 130kg natural you will be in the ballpark for most of the scottish stones in terms of bodily strength and knee health. The rest would be down to your grip and arm strength.

For biceps I went with a fair amount of stretching and strict curls with oly bar...bum/shldrs against the wall style.
james grahame

Postby samurai69 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:14 am

Chers guys

i like the idea of the "armwrestling lock"

hadnt thought of the bearhug deads, so will add those in too

will se if i can get hold of a natural stone around locally too around 120kg would be good
samurai69

Postby David Horne » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:27 am

I'll be starting Bearhug Deads after the comp at the weekend as part of my next programme - should be fun.
Consistency is key!
David Horne

Return to Stone Lifting